Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chapter 12 and Girl Power

Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a constraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrowed-minded in their more priveleged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.

I do so love some good old-fashioned feminism! It's so much more eloquent than the "girls rule, boys drool" mantra I wore on my t-shirt in middle school. I had to wonder how anyone could have thought that Jane Eyre might have been written by a man after reading this!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're smoking me! I checked a copy out last week but Layne stole it from me! I ordered one from Amazon and it got here today so now I have my very own copy, never to be stolen. :)

Krystel said...

Hah, don't feel bad - I owned a copy already, so I may have started early . . .